Subscribe to my occasional email updates, news and events
EFT (Emotional Freedom Techniques) is a set of simple and effective self-help techniques and therapeutic tools, sometimes known as “acupuncture without needles” or "tapping therapy". It is one of the family of Meridian Therapies, which are part of the recent developments in Energy Psychology. EFT combines stimulation of a series of acupressure points with cognitive restructuring (specially worded affirmations) that often leads to rapid positive shifts in thinking patterns and emotional issues.
The basics of EFT can be learned in minutes, and it can be applied to provide relief from a wide variety of distressing emotional, psychological and physical symptoms.
For a selection of research articles on EFT applications for different issues, follow the links below:
- EFT for Trauma and Post Traumatic Stress
- EFT for Pain and Physical Issues
- EFT for Depression
- EFT for Cravings, Weight Issues and Addictions
- EFT for Anxiety, Phobias and Stress
- EFT for Sports Performance
Emotional Freedom Technique was developed in the 1990s in the US by Gary Craig, whose website contained a vast amount of free information, including a free 79 page manual - since Gary's retirement in 2009 most of the resources from his website have been transferred to the new EFT Universe website.
Watch the following short video where I introduce the basics of the technique:
Advanced EFT approaches, including Identity Healing, Picture Tapping Technique and Matrix Reimprinting are also available, either in their own right or in combination with classic EFT and other therapeutic approaches.
Appointments take place at my therapy practice in Glossop, High Peak (Derbyshire) - this is around 30-40 minutes drive or a train ride from the centre of Manchester. Online and telephone consultations may be available subject to suitability - please enquire. If you unsure whether I am the right therapist for you, I can offer a free initial telephone consultation of up to 20 minutes. You can also read examples of feedback from some of my previous clients.
If you wish to learn more about using EFT for helping friends and family, you may want to attend our training which follows the syllabus approved by AAMET (Association for Advancement of Meridian Energy Techniques). If you are a professional and wish to train in EFT for helping your clients/patients, you can find more information on the EFT for Professionals page. Details of EFT training events open to the general public can be found on the EFT Training page.
I teach EFT in my own individual style, whilst striving to stay consistent with EFT founder Gary Craig's original concept and core principles and following the guidelines of the accrediting association AAMET, for which I am one of the recognised Master Trainers.
If you want to find an experienced counsellor or psychotherapist who is also trained in EFT in your local area, visit the EFT Psychotherapy Directory.
EFT in the media
Links to features on Emotional Freedom Techniques in the media:
EFT Research Project for MSc Dissertation
In 2014-2016 I have undertaken a Master of Science Programme in Therapeutic Practice for Psychological Trauma with the University of Chester. As part of that, I have carried out a piece of original research titled "The use of EFT as a self-care tool by trauma therapists". If you would like to see a copy of my dissertation, please contact me by email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To read some of my EFT articles, click on the title:
- EFT: Tapping into the new solutions. Addiction Today, Jan-Feb 2009.
- EFT in Crisis Situations - EFT Free website, 2012 - examples of how practitioners around used EFT in a variety of emergency situations
- Getting all our parts working together - EFT Free website, 2011 - on combining EFT with "parts work" or "parts negotiation"
- EFT Client & Practitioner Safety Tips. EFT Universe website, 2011- for working with trauma, dissociation and complex issues
- The Lady Who Couldn't Sing. EFT Universe website, 2011
- Getting beyond a 30 year fear of needles in 15 minutes. EFT Universe website, 2009 (Spanish version here)
- EFT and metaphor create a transformational healing experience. EFT Free website, 2010 (Spanish version here)
- The case of suicidal woman on the balcony. EFT Universe website, 2010